September 4, 2021
Selecting wall colors can often be quite a daunting task. It seems to terrify and confuse and can leave the most confident of do-it-yourselfers pondering as to what to do next.
A little about color and how we associate with them:
- Greens are calming and peaceful. Green also suggests sustainability and environmental concerns. Mixing greens with browns can provide a sense of comfort and spaciousness
- Blues are restful colors. They are clean and clear colors and when mixed with green (a blue green) they help in area of high stress.
- Reds, tellows and oranges are bright and dynamic. Often associated with food – just look at all the fast food restaurants.
- Violets and pink – calming and nurturing colors
- Whites, grays, browns, blacks – the neutrals, are often used as accent colors
Did you know that the paint companies decide of a color of the year and each of these companies will usually select a different color. As an example, Pantone chose two colors for 2021: Illuminating, a sunny yellow and Ultimate Gray. The gray represents sorrow as a result of the trials of 2020 and the yellow brings us life and hope for a sunnier year ahead. Sherwin Williams selected Urbane Bronze. a beautiful color that bring calm and sophistication into our spaces, while Benjamin Moore chose Aegean Teal, a color that provides balance and harmony in the home. All in all, they selected colors that reflect togetherness, family bonding and harmony.
Recently we were interviewed by Coastal San Diego, a magazine published by the Union Tribune. We were asked specifically about ‘neutrals’ and how to approach these for interiors.
It’s not a long article, so for a quick read click on the magazine cover:
Textured wallpaper adds interest to a neutral palette
Add an accent wall, no matter the size, to emphasize a space.
Are you looking for a quick update to your colors? We have a 2-hour consultation special available for color consultations. They’re quick, informative and fun, and you’ll be able to add color to your home for an all over refresh! Afterall, it’s all about designs YOU can live in!
Leave a Reply